While the talk show host and actress, 48, said earlier this week that the programme’s return would be in line with strike rules. The show’s writers were among those who picketed the studio in New York after it resumed filming.
On Tuesday, the National Book Foundation released a statement saying that she was no longer welcome at Friday’s ceremony.
“The National Book Awards is an evening dedicated to celebrating the power of literature, and the incomparable contributions of writers to our culture,” the statement read.
“In light of the announcement that The Drew Barrymore Show will resume production, the National Book Foundation has rescinded Ms Barrymore’s invitation to host the 74th National Book Awards Ceremony.”
The foundation had previously hailed Barrymore’s championing of books on her show, which is now in its fourth season.
The Writers Guild of America (WGA) has been on strike since the beginning of May over concerns about pay, conditions and the use of artificial intelligence, with actors joining the writers in July in their first “double strike” in more than 60 years.
In the beginning, Barrymore stepped down as host of the MTV Film and TV Awards in a move of solidarity with the striking WGA members.
Addressing her decision to seemingly revoke her support, she said that she made “the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it but this is bigger than just me”.
“I own this choice,” she added, confirming the show would not break strike rules by promoting affected TV shows or films.
“I want to be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience.”
TV network CBS said her show “will not be performing any writing work covered by the WGA strike”.