'What have I done', pedestrian killer says

Greta Stonehouse
·3-min read

"What have I done? I have killed people. I am going to jail," uttered a drunken Samuel William Davidson moments after ploughing into a group of children, having breached the residential speed limit by at least 72km/h.

Davidson, 30, killed four children and injured three others when his ute mounted the kerb at Oatlands, in Sydney's northwest, on February 1.

He struck all seven from behind on the footpath and dragged some along a nearby fence.

Eight-year-old Sienna Abdallah and her siblings Angelina, 12, and Antony, 13, and their cousin Veronique Sakr, 13, died while on their way to buy ice-creams at a local supermarket.

Davidson, who is in custody, has pleaded guilty to nine charges including four counts of manslaughter and for driving through a red traffic light and not giving his name or address to police.

During that fateful Saturday, he'd been sitting poolside with his housemates drinking Vodka Cruisers and beers, according to the facts released by Parramatta District Court on Friday.

He had his first drink about 7am, as well as some cocaine in the day. Later he told police he had about eight full-strength beers, five rum and cokes, and no food.

That evening he drove his blue Mitsubishi 4WD with a friend to get cash out from a service station.

After abruptly pulling into Budget Petrol in North Rocks, he repeatedly beeped his horn while his friend went inside, before leaving and speeding through a red light.

The two men were seen by witnesses to be shirtless and laughing while driving erratically and swerving across each side of the road.

Both made rude hand gestures out the window at different cars along their journey, the facts state.

Another witness heard Davidson's "engine revving hard" as a motorbike swerved out of the way of his car which drove through a roundabout on the wrong side.

He noticed the driver was "quite animated" and his vehicle was rocking from side to side.

After stopping at another red light and looking in both directions, he "harshly accelerated into the intersection and drove straight across four lanes of traffic" before the light had turned green.

Shortly after, Davidson attempted to make a sharp right-hand turn on a downward slope but lost control of his speeding vehicle and mounted the concrete kerb and gutter, striking the children.

A report later found he was travelling up to 133km/h in a 50km/h zone and was moving about 111km/h at the time of impact.

After the two uninjured men got out of the vehicle, Davidson appeared distressed and was heard saying: "What have I done?... I have killed people ... I am going to jail."

The total distance between the children who were killed spanned about 17.5 metres.

As community and family members began to gather to a crowd of about 200 some could be heard screaming and the riot squad was called to maintain safety.

While he was later found to have MDMA also in his system, the effects may have been minor after the "substantial impairment due to his blood alcohol concentration," a toxicologist report found.

Davidson will be sentenced in March 2021.