A Missouri woman who went to the doctor thinking she had water in her ear was shocked to learn it was actually a venomous spider.
Susie Torres, from Missouri, visited her doctor on Tuesday (local time), complaining of discomfort in her left ear.
"I woke up Tuesday hearing a bunch of swooshing and water in my left ear," Ms Torres told WDAF-TV.
"It was like when you went swimming and you have all of that water in your ear.”
After a medical assistant gave her an initial check-up, she quickly learned something else was going on.
"[The assistant] ran out and said, 'I'm going to get a couple more people'," Ms Torres said in a separate interview with KSHB.
"She then said, 'I think you have an insect in there'.”
Ms Torres, who is deeply afraid of spiders, tried not to panic as the medical assistant managed to remove the arachnid, which doctors later determined was a brown recluse.
"I never thought they would crawl in your ear or any part of your body," Ms Torres told KSHB.
The brown recluse is a species of venomous spider found throughout the US South and Midwest states.
It's considered to be one of the most poisonous spiders found in America, with bite symptoms that include fever, convulsions, itching, nausea and muscle pain.
Although the brown recluse venom is not considered deadly, since people generally don't feel the bites when they occur, they often go untreated, which can lead to serious complications.
Doctors told Ms Torres the spider had not bitten her despite however long it had been in her ear.
Ms Torres said she had taking some extra measures to make sure this did not happen again.
"I went and put some cotton balls in my ears last night, I'm a little more cautious," she told WDAF.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.