Disturbing new details emerged after man dies in floodwaters

Ash Cant
·3-min read

New details have emerged about the "tragic" final moments of a man who died in his car in Sydney's north west, after getting stuck in floodwaters.

The first death in relation to the NSW floods was confirmed on Wednesday, police have not revealed the identity of the man, though it has been confirmed he is 25-years-old and a Pakistani national.

The man was on his way to start his first day of a new job for a multinational company and authorities are trying to get in contact with his relatives.

At about 6.25am on Wednesday, emergency services were called to Cattai Ridge Road near Hidden Valley Lane, at Glenorie.

Detective Inspector Chris Laird revealed new details about the man's final moments, saying he remained on the phone with the Triple-0 operator for about half an hour.

 An aerial view of the flooded Cattai Ridge Road at Glenorie.
An aerial view of the scene where the body of a man was found trapped inside a vehicle in floodwaters on Cattai Ridge Road at Glenorie. Source: Getty Images

The Triple-0 operator lost contact with the man at about 7am.

"The operator was on the phone with the man who possibly is about to pass away ... as the water is rising, that's all i can say," he said.

"It was a tragic, tragic accident ... but should be another timely reminder, not to drive in swollen rivers during a flood crisis."

Soon after police arrived at the scene and they were unable to locate the man or the car.

Man's car found six metres underwater

The man's vehicle was later found approximately six metres underwater and about 30 metres from the roadway.

Det Insp Laird said the man was driving a brand-new hire car, a Toyota Camry and that the man did attempt to get out of the vehicle.

"We can only speculate as to why he couldn't get out of the car and initial examination shows he made all reasonable attempts," he said.

Det Insp Laird suggested the car's electrical system may have failed and that the man was not familiar with the area.

Det Insp Laird added the roads had multiple signs and road closure warnings and there was also a padlocked gate blocking off the road, but it was submerged.

Father confirmed dead in Queensland flood

A 38-year-old father from the Gold Coast hinterlands has been confirmed dead, marking the state's first flood-related fatality.

Swift water rescue crews found David Hornman's submerged ute in the flooded Canungra Creek on Wednesday. When they secured the vehicle they found his body inside.

The dad was last seen on Monday morning.

His desperate wife has been active on social media since then, appealing for help from anyone who saw him.

"He didn't turn up to work and hasn't been able to be reached since. His phone is turned off," Angela Hornman posted on Facebook on Tuesday.

"I just have to know he's ok. Please tell him no matter what I LOVE HIM."

With AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.