Disabled woman dies in Vic house fire

A disabled woman is dead after a house fire in Melbourne's inner-west.

The 62-year-old's body was found in the upstairs bedroom of the West Footscray home early on Sunday morning, while a 69-year-old resident escaped with minor injuries.

The older woman, named only as Leslie by police, is believed to have been the carer for the disabled woman, who neighbours said was called Gay.

A neighbour told journalists he tried to get into the house before helping fight the fire from outside.

"(Leslie) was just screaming that there was somebody upstairs," he said, adding Gay had been using a cane to get around.

"I don't know how the firies got up there to be honest ... (there) wasn't any clear air in there."

Leslie was taken to Footscray Hospital but left before being assessed by medical staff.

Wheelchairs were found inside the gutted home but authorities could not confirm the nature of the Gay's disabilities.

The surname of either woman is not known.

The fire is thought to have started with two portable heaters and nearby towels in the living room.

"There was a lot of furniture and household items in the house that adds to the fuel load and makes firefighting very difficult," Metropolitan Fire Brigade Commander Roger Chitty told reporters at the scene.

He added it was a "major concern" to find the house either had no fire alarms or they were not working.

The house is extensively damaged and police have not been able to contact Leslie.

The neighbour said the two women were active in the church, and went on a lot of overseas trips and did charity work.

"They collected stuff for church charities ... I think it was boxes of books and things," he said.