Denny McCarthy has withdrawn from the Travelers Championship before the second round on Friday after testing positive for COVID-19. There are now seven players who have pulled out of the tournament due to coronavirus-related reasons.
McCarthy tests positive after ‘achy’ feeling
McCarthy, the third player to test positive in the tour ranks, said he was feeling “achy” overnight and got tested. Via the PGA Tour:
“I was feeling pretty tired and sore after the round yesterday but didn’t think much of it because I had practiced a lot Monday to Wednesday,” said McCarthy. “Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with additional aches and soreness and sensed something was off. I felt like the only thing to do was get tested at that point before I went to the course.”
The two players who played alongside McCarthy in the first round, Matt Wallace and Bud Cauley, both tested negative on Friday morning. Their caddies, David McNeill and Matt Hauser, also tested negative as did McCarthy’s caddy, Derek Smith.
Despite testing negative twice on Friday, Cauley withdrew as a preventative measure.
“I’m very thankful I have tested negative but have decided to withdraw out of an abundance of caution for my peers and everyone involved with the tournament,” said Cauley.
PGA Tour: McCarthy demonstrates what we ask of golfers
PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said McCarthy will self-isolate in Hartford and has the full support of the Tour. He also thanked the golfer for asking for a test.
“What Denny, Bud and others are demonstrating is exactly what we asked of everyone — continue to do your part in taking this virus seriously and keeping not only your own health as a priority, but also that of your fellow competitors and those you may come in contact with. Today’s update again demonstrates our rigorous and quick testing, contact tracing capabilities and overall health and safety protocols. We will continue to liaise directly with local and state government and health officials this week and throughout our return to golf.”
Seven golfers out of Travelers due to COVID-19
Four golfers withdrew from the tournament earlier in the week due to concerns around the coronavirus. World No. 4 Brooks Koepka pulled out when his caddie, Ricky Elliott, tested positive as part of the tour’s multilayered testing system. His brother, Chase, also did not play after a practice round with them.
COVID-19 cases create questions for golf
The mounting number of cases in the PGA Tour ranks are becoming a concern. Golfers have the benefit of playing a solo sport where they can more closely abide to social distancing guidelines. But they are traveling around the country to different courses to play, putting them in contact with a wide range of people and regions.
Justin Thomas slammed Hilton Head, South Carolina, last week for not taking the precautions seriously. He called it “a zoo” near the golf course. Meanwhile, The Memorial Tournament plans to allow fans when play starts on July 16.
More from Yahoo Sports: