1 medium onion
1 sprig of thyme
2 cloves of garlic crushed
500g risotto rice
1lt stock (see instructions below)
Truffle 50g or 100g (depending on how generous you’re feeling!)
- To make the risotto, heat a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the oil and onion and season with salt & pepper.
- Sweat onion gently for about 4 minutes until soft and transparent.
- Add the rice and stir briefly until coated with oil.
- Pour in the hot stock, swirl it around gently and cover with a tight fitting lid. Lower the heat and simmer gently for about 13 minutes.
- Remove the lid & stir well to release the gluten.
- The basic risotto can be prepared ahead of time to this stage. If you wish to finish the dish later, spread it out onto a shallow tray, cover & refrigerate for up to 2 days. Otherwise continue with your choice of ingredients.
- To finish while rice is nice and hot, remove from the heat, mix in the butter and parmesan and emulsify gently.
- Taste for seasoning, add a few drops of lemon juice, grate in truffle. mix and serve then generously shave all over with black truffle, serve straight away!!
THE STOCK / VEGETABLE NAGE
1 onion finely sliced
2 carrots finely sliced
1/2 leek finely sliced
2 sticks celery finely sliced
cloves of garlic roughly crushed
3 sprigs thyme
4 white peppercorns
6 coriander seeds
3 star anise
3 pints water
4 sprigs tarragon
6 sprigs chervil
2 sprigs coriander
Put the sliced vegetables into a large saucepan with the garlic, thyme & spices. Add the water & bring to the boil. LOwer the heat & simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat & season with salt to taste.
Add the fresh herbs, close the pot tightly & seal with cling film. Leave to infuse for 2 hours then pass through a fine sieve.
Refrigerate & use within 24 hours.
Makes 1 litre
For more, visit James’ website!