The head of the defence force has received a report into alleged war crimes by Australian soldiers in Afghanistan.
The inspector-general of the Australian Defence Force has conducted an inquiry into the alleged incidents committed by special forces troops between 2005 and 2016.
Defence Force Chief Angus Campbell on Friday confirmed he now had the report.
"I intend to speak about the key findings once I have read and reflected on the report," he said in a brief statement.
"Welfare and other support services are available to those affected by the Afghanistan Inquiry."
The federal government has promised to release the report amid concerns it could be heavily redacted when it is finally published.
There are also fears the soldiers involved could be denied procedural fairness.
"These reports are troubling and the claims are exactly why this process was set up," Prime Minister Scott Morrison said last week.
"This is a very serious inquiry, it's done by people who are highly skilled in handling what are very sensitive matters.
"I have no doubt they are very aware of the careful way they need to conduct this inquiry."
Attorney-General Christian Porter said "you can expect to see a very, very detailed and substantive report".