Deadly Qld brawl murder accused face court

Aaron Bunch
·2-min read

The mother of a former refugee seriously wounded during a deadly Brisbane brawl says her family fled South Sudan to escape violence not fall victim to it.

Viola Lado's son Ronal Erasto, 23, was stabbed and sliced before being smashed with a hammer when a gang of African youths allegedly attacked him and his mates at a park in Zillmere on September 13.

His friend Girum Mekonnen, 19, died at the scene as paramedics fought to save his life, with 13 men later charged over his alleged murder.

Ms Lado, 43, doesn't understand why her son was attacked.

"The boys were just sitting there playing cards and barbecuing. It's no good," she told AAP outside Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday.

"I brought my kids here for a better life. I didn't bring them here for this."

The former South Sudanese refugee, a single mother, arrived in Australia 15 years ago with two sons in tow - Ronal then aged eight and Rami, now 27.

Both men were assaulted at the park but Ronal suffered the most severe injuries. He's now had five operations and is slowly recovering, Ms Lado said.

Police have previously said a melee broke out after three carloads of youths descended on the playing fields seeking retribution for another incident on September 8.

But supporters of the victims - who preferred to remain unnamed - denied this, saying outside court the groups were from different tribes in their former war-torn home.

All told, paramedics took 11 people to hospital suffering stab wounds and blunt force injuries from knives, baseball bats and other weapons after the attack.

Some of the victims were stabbed in their torso, pelvis, head and face.

Anas Ayman Abdu Musa, Yohana Wal Wal, Santo Wal Wal, Malat Akoi Makuach and Juma Makuol Deng Makuol were among the men, aged between 18 and 32, accused of murder, grievous bodily harm and affray following the attack.

They and Ben Abio, Joseph Lokolong, Majok Riel Majok, Alex Edward Deng, Abraham Yak, Gabreal Wal Wal, Chan Kuchmol Kon and Kresta Wal Wal had their cases briefly mentioned in court on Monday.

All were handed the additional charge of intent to commit grievous bodily harm by throwing a projectile.

Wal Wal, Musa and Wal Wal were granted bail on strict conditions, including wearing electronic tracking bracelets.

The other men were remanded in custody.

All the men's cases were adjourned for committal mentions in the same court on March 15, with Makuach scheduled to make a Supreme Court bail application on Thursday.