'Days' to clean up as storm hits Canberra

·1-min read

A severe thunderstorm has hit Canberra, with clean-up efforts expected to take days after it caused damage to homes and cars and cut power to thousands of residents.

The ACT State Emergency Service said it had received 436 requests for assistance by 11.30pm on Monday after the storm swept through about 5pm, packing high winds and large hailstones.

The SES said most calls for help were from the hardest hit Belconnen and Gungahlin regions, with trees down on homes, cars and roads, fallen powerlines and localised flooding.

"The clean up is expected to extend across the next couple of days, with the highest priority incidents being attended first," the SES said in a statement, adding that more staff and volunteers would join the effort on Tuesday morning.

EvoEnergy said power had been restored to 10,000 homes but more than 7500 customers in Belconnen remained without electricity overnight.

"Due to extensive damage, repairs will take time and we ask for your patience," the electricity supplier said in a tweet.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting