It was meant as a child’s reward for eating her full meal, but a packet of fruit juice turned out to be contaminated with a disgusting surprise.
Cameron Hardwick, from Indiana in the US, knew something was “a little off” when he grabbed a Capri Sun juice pack to give to his three-year-old daughter but it felt unusual, he said in a video he posted to his Facebook page.
It was deflated but there did not seem to be any holes or damage to the pouch upon investigation.
“We saw something that was not very pleasing once we shook it up,” the dad said.
Mr Hardwick goes on to cut the sealed packet open with a pair of scissors and pour it into a glass on camera, and a solid, grey mass can be seen plopping into the glass.
“I don’t know what that is, but… clearly some kind of mould,” he says as the camera zooms in.
Mr Hardwick notes he shared the video as a “public service announcement” to other parents.
“To say we are irate would be an understatement,” he wrote in the post, which was originally published last month.
After hearing about Mr Hardwick’s discovery, Kraft Foods, Capri Sun’s parent company, sent a representative to his house to collect a sample, according to US news outlet KSAZ-TV.
The company claimed the package sustained a “micro-puncture” that allowed oxygen to penetrate and mould to grow.
Kraft told Yahoo! Lifestyle the unfortunate occurrence was rare thanks to new measures taken to improve safety standards in recent years.
“Food quality and safety are our highest priority. This was an isolated case,” the spokesperson said.
“Although rare, it is possible for mould to grow inside containers of preservative-free juice drinks if the pouch is punctured in any way on its journey from our facilities to people’s homes.
“We understand it’s unpleasant but the mould is naturally occurring, just like if you left an apple on your counter for too long and mould begins to grow.”