Crown inquiry calls for public submissions

·2-min read

The Victorian royal commission into gaming giant Crown's Melbourne operations has invited the public to make submissions.

Former Federal Court judge Raymond Finkelstein QC, who is chairing the inquiry, on Monday said community members and organisations were welcome to contribute their "views, ideas and experiences" to the inquiry.

In particular, he is seeking submissions concerning problem gambling, criminal activity and influence at Crown's Southbank casino.

"The work of the royal commission is important to the fabric of our society and I am keen to hear directly from people with experience relevant to the work we are undertaking," Mr Finkelstein said in a statement.

"I urge interested members of the public to express their views and share their experiences on matters that will help the commission, by making a submission."

The $10 million Royal Commission into Crown Melbourne will investigate whether money laundering was still taking place at Crown's Southbank casino and whether the company had broken the law or its contract with the state government.

He will also look at how the company deals with gambling addiction.

At the opening of the hearings last week, Mr Finkelstein said more than 300,000 Australians are problem gamblers, accounting for a third of the total gambling expenditure - about $3.5 billion annually.

Casinos also attract "significant criminal activity", including petty crime within the venue, street crime outside, money laundering and the "infiltration of organised crime syndicates".

But he also noted the gambling industry has "significant benefits", including that it employs people and accounts for about 12 per cent of tax revenue in Victoria.

Mr Finkelstein will have until August 1 to report back to the government with recommendations.

The royal commission will accept written submissions until 4pm on April 26. To make a submission visit www.rccol.vic.gov.au.