Queensland has recorded another four virus cases linked to a correctional service training academy in the state's southeast, taking the corrective services cluster to 19 cases.
One trainee from the Queensland Corrective Services Academy in Wacol tested positive on Friday, along with three household contacts of trainees.
A senior trainer at the academy was diagnosed with the virus on Thursday following the outbreak at the nearby youth facility.
Two staff members who visited the academy from the nearby Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre have also contracted the virus.
The other 11 cases are linked to initial outbreak at Brisbane's Youth Detention Centre in Wacol.
All prisons south of Rockhampton are in stage four lockdown, with inmates confined to cells.
Health Minister Steven Miles says the new cases underline the importance of adherence to household restrictions.
"We've always said that households are one of the highest transmission risk locations - it's very hard to quarantine in a household," he told reporters on Saturday.
"It underlines how important it is that we have restricted the number of people in households, that will greatly minimise the risk of widespread transmission in the community."
It comes as those health restrictions limiting the number of people who can gather are extended to the Gold Coast and Darling Downs regions.
No more than 10 people were allowed to gather in Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan without a COVID-19 safety plan, following an initial outbreak at a youth detention centre.
That was extended south to the Gold Coast from 8am Saturday after two Pimpama residents linked to the cluster were diagnosed with the virus.
The new rules will also come into effect in the Darling Downs from 8am Monday after health alerts were issued for The Southern Hotel and Queens' Park Markets in Toowoomba.
A new public health alert for the Graceville Netball courts has also been issued after the venue was visited by someone who may have been infectious between 1pm and 3pm on Saturday August 22.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Friday Schoolies Week had been cancelled less than three months before it was scheduled to begin.
"This is a mass event. It poses a high risk," she told reporters.
Concerts and large parties will be banned, with limits on gatherings at beaches and apartment complexes.
"It's a tough year for everyone. Hopefully, things will get better by the end of next year and we can have a double celebration," she said.
Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said he backed the decision but conceded it would be tough on local businesses, such as accommodation providers.
He said the event should have been cancelled sooner and called on tourism promoters to encourage families to the region, to replace the students.