Covid-positive mum targeted in heinous arson attack

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

South Australia Police are investigating a suspicious fire in what is believed to be a targeted attack on a woman who tested positive for Covid-19.

On Tuesday night, at around 10pm, emergency services were called to Sandalwood Crescent in Mount Gambier following reports of a vehicle on fire.

"A Holden sedan had been set alight in the driveway, with flames threatening to spread to the house," SA Police said in a statement.  

"Fire crews managed to extinguish the blaze, which destroyed the car and caused surface damage to the building."

At the time of the fire, no one was home and there were no reports of injuries.

A woman's car was set on fire in Mt Gambier, after she tested positive for Covid-19. Source: 7News
A woman's car was set on fire in Mt Gambier, after she tested positive for Covid-19. Source: 7News

Police believe the incident was targeted, as the woman who owns the now-torched vehicle had recently tested positive for Covid-19.

SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said people should not assume "they know what's going on" and the attack was both "unnecessary" and "unwarranted".

"I'm just asking people to show tolerance," he said, the ABC reported.

"We don't know exactly what's gone on. Let us get to the bottom of this and we'll provide that information to the community as quickly as possible."

A woman aged in her 40s, from Mt Gambier, tested positive in South Australia, after spending time in Victoria. Her case was announced on Sunday.

After she returned a positive test, the woman was transferred to hotel quarantine in Adelaide, along with her four children.

The woman is working with contact tracers and police are following up on other information.

On Tuesday, SA Health said it was investigating the Mt Gambier region and new exposure sites in the area have been identified.

South Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stevens condemned the attack, which he said was
South Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stevens condemned the attack, which he said was "unwarranted". Source: AAP Image

The case prompted new restrictions for Mt Gambier and two other councils in South Australia's southeast.

The restrictions mean stricter density rules, a limit of two visitors at any home and bans on private functions and organised sporting activities.

The rules are set to be in place for at least seven days.

On Monday, a male truck driver aged in his 30s from Victoria tested positive in South Australia, though he did return back to Victoria.

On Tuesday, there were no new Covid cases identified in the state.

With AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting