COVID case spread in NSW west and far west

·3-min read

Another 32 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the state's west and far west as Deputy Premier John Barilaro urges people in regional NSW to get tested and vaccinated against the virus.

"We're encouraging people to come out and get tested if there are early signs and most importantly to improve vaccination rates," Mr Barilaro said on Wednesday.

"I call out to regional and rural NSW -- get vaccinated."

NSW reported 1116 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 and four deaths in the 24 hours until 8pm on Tuesday.

Of the 29 cases in western NSW, 18 were in Dubbo where the death of an Indigenous man was announced on Monday.

Mr Barilaro said three cases were in Bourke, two in Blayney, two in Narromine while Bathurst, Mudgee, Orange and Walgett each recorded a single case overnight.

This followed 54 new cases reported on Tuesday for western NSW - a record high for the region.

In the far west, there were three new cases reported in Wilcannia where around 10 per cent of the population of 750 has now tested positive.

Mr Barilaro said there were initial concerns about how to accommodate and isolate infected individuals in Wilcannia with overcrowding common in large families but NSW Health was now setting up 30 motorhomes at the local campervan site with access to power, water and waste disposal.

"This has been communicated to the community and embraced by the community so it's an opportunity to put in an effort at Wilcannia," he said.

The facility is planned to be operational from Monday.

Each motorhome has heating and cooling and includes living and bedroom accommodation, kitchen, toilet, a shower, and radio/television. The campervans are well insulated to cater for the variable weather in Far Western NSW.

Federal Labor's Indigenous spokeswoman Linda Burney said locals were concerned about the ability of local hospitals and health systems to cope with an increase in cases.

"The government needs to clearly outline what the plan is when local hospital capacities are overwhelmed," she said in a statement.

CEO of the Western NSW Local Health District Scott McLaughlin said now was not the time for the region to "relax".

"We know that a lot of the people who have been infectious in our communities didn't know they had COVID at the time and it wasn't something they did intentionally," Mr McLaughlin said.

There were 18 patients in Dubbo hospital with the virus, four of whom were ventilated in intensive care.

Elsewhere in regional NSW there were eight new cases in the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District, six in the Hunter New England region and two on the Central Coast.

Deputy Chief Health Officer Marianne Gale said it was concerning that fragments of the virus that causes COVID-19 had been detected at sewage treatment plants across regional NSW.

It was detected at Temora in the Murrumbidgee region, at Thredbo and Merimbula in Southern NSW, at Port Macquarie, Dunbogan and Bonny Hills on the mid-north Coast, at Warren and Molong in western NSW and at Tamworth and Gunnedah in the Hunter New England district.

"If you live in any of those areas, please come forward for testing," Dr Gale said.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting