COVID-19 cases take toll on A-League Men

·3-min read

Three additional A-League Men round seven games have been postponed due to COVID-19 cases at Brisbane Roar, Melbourne City and Central Coast.

Brisbane became the latest club to report cases after fully vaccinated players returned positive PCR tests on Tuesday, forcing the postponement of Sunday's away game against Melbourne Victory.

City's away game against Newcastle on January 1 and the Mariners' New Years' Eve clash with Macarthur have also been postponed.

Sydney's January 2 clash with Perth had already been moved due to the Glory isolating in Western Australia.

It follows the postponement of four matches last round.

"The Brisbane Roar men's football department confirmed positive COVID-19 cases via PCR testing on 28 December, with all players, coaches and staff now in isolation and awaiting further results, while following the Queensland Health directives," an A-Leagues statement said.

The Mariners confirmed they had more positive cases, on top of those reported on December 27, which scuppered that day's planned clash with Wellington, and would be unable to field a team this week.

City previously had six cases on December 22, which saw their December 27 clash with the Roar cancelled, and won't feature again this weekend, though the league was confident the champions would be back in action next week.

Every A-League Men club except Victory and Wellington has now reported COVID-19 cases.

There are two remaining games this weekend.

Adelaide, who had a COVID-19 case last week, are due to host Wellington on January 1.

The same day, Western Sydney and Western United, who also both had positive cases last week, are due to face off.

Later on Wednesday, the leagues confirmed further match postponements.

Three games on January 5: Wellington v Brisbane, Macarthur v Perth and Melbourne City v Adelaide, have all been postponed.

The league also confirmed Perth Glory's A-League Women team, who hit the road in January, will host Canberra at NSW's Wanderers Football Park on January 5.

Meanwhile, Justis Huni's return to the ring is under a cloud after the Australian heavyweight champion tested positive to COVID-19.

The world title hope this month flew to the US for a training camp ahead of a February 4 date with Joe Goodall in Brisbane.

Huni's team confirmed the positive case on Wednesday, with a decision on the fight's status to be made within a week.

Elsewhere, AFL club Port Adelaide have reported their first positive case of COVID-19, with an unnamed player experiencing mild symptoms.

The player is fully vaccinated, isolating at home and expected to be cleared to re-join his teammates for training when they return from their summer break on January 10.

A Gold Coast Suns AFLW player has also tested positive for COVID-19, just 11 days out from their season opener against GWS on January 9.

The player, who is fully vaccinated, tested positive to a PCR test conducted on Monday.

The Suns confirmed the rest of their players and staff were self-isolating, out of caution, awaiting further test results and guidance from relevant authorities.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting