Victoria’s daily coronavirus total has once again surpassed 200 infections on Wednesday as Melbourne continues to grapple with an outbreak of widespread community transmission.
The state recorded a further 238 cases in the previous 24 hours, Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed.
It is the fifth time in the last six days the state has recorded more than 200 daily cases. In comparison, NSW has only surpassed the daunting figure twice since the pandemic began.
A woman in her 90s has died from the virus in the past 24 hours, Mr Andrews confirmed, taking the state’s death toll to 27.
Twenty-seven people in the state are in intensive care and altogether 105 are in hospital.
Of the new cases, 29 are related to current outbreaks while 209 are still under investigation.
Lockdown only option, Andrews warns
Mr Andrews sympathised with Melbourne residents over the current six-week restriction, but despite acknowledging it was “difficult”, he said there was no other option.
“The alternative? Well there really isn’t one,” he said.
“This is the only way forward. It is based on the best of medical advice, and it will work if everybody works with me and my team.
“Every single Victorian has to play their part and again let me make it really clear I'm so, so grateful and impressed and proud of all those Victorians who are doing the right thing.”
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said while it appeared the numbers were stabilising, “its absolutely not enough” and 100 per cent compliance of the current restrictions is needed to drive the daily total down.
Professor Sutton said while he has seen more masks on the streets following advice to wear them on outings, he said the state “could do better”.
Since last Wednesday, 151 infringement notices have been issued by Victoria Police for breaching restrictions, Victorian Police Deputy Commissioner Rick Nugent said.
There have also been 85,000 vehicles checked at checkpoints.
"Anyone who’s not doing the right thing, Victorian police are out in force," Mr Andrews said.
Victorian man ‘likely’ responsible for Sydney cluster
NSW health authorities believe a man from Melbourne has triggered the cluster of coronavirus cases linked to the Crossroads Hotel in Casula, southwest Sydney.
The man travelled to Sydney on June 30 before attending a function at the hotel on July 3 with colleagues.
The man works for a freight company however is not a truck driver.
"We’ve made these links with extensive interviews over multiple public health units," NSW Health's Jennie Musto told reporters on Wednesday.
There have been 34 cases so far linked to the pub.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.