Coronavirus Victoria: Streak continues as further easing anticipated

Tom Flanagan
·News Reporter
·2-min read

Victoria has continued its streak of days without a single new coronavirus case as anticipation grows for a potential easing of restrictions beyond what is outlined for November 8.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) once again announced zero new cases and zero deaths on Thursday.

The state has now gone six days without recording a known coronavirus case.

Metropolitan Melbourne’s 14-day rolling average is 1.4 while mystery cases over a two-week period remain at two.

Victoria has recorded just nine new cases since the end of lockdown began on October 28.

Melburnians have been enjoying the end of lockdown as the hospitality sector looks to get back on its feet. Source: Getty
Melburnians have been enjoying the end of lockdown as the hospitality sector looks to get back on its feet. Source: Getty

While DHHS testing chief Jeroen Weimar warns there is still likely virus in the community, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said earlier this week if Victoria’s trend of zero cases continues, further restrictions could be eased come November 8.

As it stands, the ring of steel is set to end as is the 25km travel restriction for metropolitan Melbourne. Hospitality venues will also be able to increase capacity to 40 patrons indoors and 70 outdoors depending on venue size.

The final step of the roadmap out of restrictions requires 14 days of zero cases across the state while the state can move to a COVID norm when 28 days have passed without cases.

The state’s death toll remains at 819.

NSW border to open

NSW announced on Wednesday it would reopen its border with Victoria on November 23 and Premier Daniel Andrews said the decision was a ringing endorsement of the state's ability to manage and suppress COVID-19 outbreaks.

Mr Andrews suggested the decision would put to bed some rather "unhelpful" and "inaccurate" commentary on Victoria's handling of the pandemic, including its oft-critiqued contact tracing regime.

"The premier of NSW would not be opening her border if she did not have confidence in a couple of important things," he told reporters on Wednesday.

"One, the public health response in our state, but most importantly in the people of Victoria to stay the course, to see this thing off, to get the numbers low, as we have."

The Victoria-NSW border was closed on July 8 as the second wave ratcheted up in the southern state.

with AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.