Coronavirus Victoria: State on alert as zero cases reported

Olivia Lambert
·News Editor
·3-min read

Victoria has reported an 18th consecutive day without any new coronavirus cases or deaths.

On Tuesday, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) tweeted there were just three active cases, while there were zero new cases and deaths in the past 24 hours.

It comes a day after health officials were concerned by the decreasing number of tests, with the state processing just 6695 in the 24 hours leading up to Monday, the lowest number since June 22.

However the number more than doubled in the past 24 hours with the DHHS revealing 17,412 tests had been received.

A woman wearing a face mask seen crossing the Bourke Street Mall in Melbourne.
Victoria has reported zero new cases and deaths for the 18th day in a row. Source: Getty Images

Victoria on alert as SA cluster explodes

With coronavirus cases escalating in South Australia after members of a large family became infected, Victoria has ramped up its effort to prevent any new cases seeping over the border.

The DHHS said it would meet every flight from Adelaide to Melbourne where passengers would have their names and contact details recorded.

Their temperatures will be checked and passengers must answer questions about where they have been.

“Anyone who has been in SA in the last 14 days should check the exposure sites listed on the SA Health website and take the appropriate actions,” the DHHS tweeted.

Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng said travellers would be asked where they've been, and if from an identified "area of risk", requested to take a test and isolate.

"If they refuse to get tested they will be treated as a close contact and be asked to self-isolate for 14 days," Dr Cheng said.

Premier has not ruled out border closure

While a number of state and territories have closed borders to South Australia, NSW and Victoria have not yet made the bold decision.

However Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has not ruled out joining his counterparts.

"We've never closed our border. I've never criticised others for closing theirs, they've done what I would've done if the circumstances were different," he said.

"So I can't take it off the table. I've got confidence that (SA Premier) Steven Marshall will get on top of this.

"I want a situation where every border in the country is open by Christmas."

Cars queue for the COVID-19 testing facility at Victoria Park, just outside the Adelaide CBD on November 16, 2020.
A new coronavirus cluster in Adelaide has exploded. Source: Getty

The Northern Territory says anyone travelling to the Territory from South Australia will now be forced into supervised quarantine for 14 days.

Tasmania called on anyone who had arrived from South Australia in the past week to immediately isolate while those arriving from Monday would be expected to quarantine at home or pre-booked accomodation.

Queensland revealed it too would impose a 14-day hotel quarantine on all visitors from Adelaide as of Tuesday and Western Australia will also quarantine any arrivals from South Australia.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.