Victoria has recorded 114 new cases of coronavirus in the 24-hour period to Sunday, and another 11 deaths.
It comes after new daily cases dipped below 100 for the first time sine July 5 on Saturday.
The 11 additional deaths takes the state toll to 524 and the national death count to 612.
Since last Monday the daily number of new coronavirus cases has not exceeded 150.
“There are 2,830 active cases across the state. That number continues to fall, which is good news,” Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said Sunday. There remain 1,277 active cases in aged care facilities.
“These numbers are coming down. We will see some variation day today. It will bounce around a little bit. But in general terms, we are seeing a fall across each of the key metrics, and the strategy is working,” Mr Andrews said.
“Once we see these numbers for further, once we have certainty, and that will be quite soon, we will be able to talk in more definitive terms about what the weeks and months ahead look like.”
The steadily declining numbers have fuelled anticipation about the easing of strict stage four restrictions across Melbourne, which include an 8pm to 5am curfew, including the prospect for “housing bubbles” to allow single person households to visit another nominated home.
The concept of a system that would allow singles to visit their immediate family was discussed by Mr Andrews on Saturday after it was put to Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton on Twitter.
Mr Andrews on Saturday was hesitant to suggest a plan of the sort would be introduced in the immediate future, saying daily new cases would need to be far lower than they currently are.
“It is a bit early for us to finalise those matters but we are looking very closely at that [household bubbles] because we do know, we have had a lot of feedback, that this is particularly challenging for those who live on their own,” he told reporters.
Earlier this weekend Mr Andrews said health authorities want to ensure spread in the community is under control before restrictions are eased.
"We want to defeat the second wave and properly ... That means we can avoid a third wave."
Melburnians are subject to another fortnight of strict stage four restrictions including an 8pm to 5am curfew and Mr Andrews said the benefits from the first four weeks are starting to show.
Regional Victorians are under slightly less strict stage three restrictions for the same period.
Mr Andrews was cautious about rushing to a return to normal, saying the path back to normality will be based on "science and data and evidence".
Restrictions across Melbourne are due to expire on September 13 but will be reduced gradually rather than removed completely.
Health officials have indicated that recommendations for face masks could remain in place for several more months.
“I will make some announcements tomorrow in relation to how we're going to engage with industry, for instance, to make sure that we are getting the latest best input around what about opening up should look like,” Mr Andrews said Sunday.
“That is not for today. It will be as soon as it possibly can be and we will give people as much notice as we possibly can. We understand the need and the urgency and substance of fatigue. Is perfectly reasonable. But all of us have to stay the course on this and defeat this second wave comprehensively.”
If you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.