A man in his 20s is among the 14 new coronavirus deaths in Victoria.
Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed the fatality on Friday along with 372 new infections in the past 24 hours.
Other deaths included three women and two men in their 80s, and four women and four men in their 90s.
“Our thoughts and best wishes, our sympathies, are obviously with the families of those 14 Victorians, and we wish them well at what will be an incredibly difficult time for them,” Mr Andrews said.
The man in his 20s is the youngest Australian to die from the coronavirus following the death of a man in his 30s earlier this month.
Twelve of those 14 deaths were linked to aged care outbreaks.
No more details were able to be provided about the man in his 20s.
According to Australia’s Health Department website, the majority of COVID-19 deaths have been men aged between 70 and 89 years old.
The median age of fatalities is 83 years old and the median age of infections is 38 years old.
One in five of Victoria’s cases have unknown sources
Mr Andrews said 51 cases had been added to the growing list of infections where sources were unknown, bring that total to 3,119.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said about one in five cases, or 20 per cent, were “mystery cases or cases of unknown acquisition”.
“They don't have anyone in their household who has been unwell, nobody in the workplace,” Professor Sutton said.
“The places they nominate don't have existing cases, clusters, outbreaks so we can't determine absolutely where they got it from but we know there are other opportunities where people can pick it up.
“Sometimes they won't recall a close contact and sometimes they've had a more casual contact and for those people, they can't identify where they've been or with whom, but they will be picked it up there.
“Notably it has plateaued in the last week or so, that is related to a plateauing of overall cases but the mystery cases have plateaued as well.”
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.