Victoria’s daily coronavirus infections have dropped below 50 for the first time since the peak of the second wave.
The Department of Health and Humans services confirmed 41 new cases and nine further deaths on Monday.
It is the lowest number of daily infections since June 27.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton had said last week he was hopeful for such a number by Sunday, suggesting the figures are more or less on track with his team’s modelling.
The state’s death toll now stands at 675, with the national figure at 762.
Metropolitan Melbourne will be forced to go through at least two more weeks of Stage 4 restrictions, while its curfew, which has had its start time pushed back to 9pm, will run for at least seven more weeks.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the announcement was “crushing” in a joint statement with Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and Health Minister Greg Hunt.
More to come.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.