Coronavirus: Australian woman to be 'kicked out of China for going jogging'

An Australian woman who violated coronavirus quarantine in China and went for a run outside her home in Beijing has reportedly lost her job and has been asked to leave the country after videos of her went viral.

The videos of her jogging without a face mask on Sunday first started circulating on Chinese social media platform Weibo and have since made their way to platforms like Twitter.

According to the Global Times, police from Beijing's Hujialou sub-district responded to reports of a woman not cooperating with community workers on Sunday.

The woman in the video has only been identified as Ms Liang.

The videos show the Australian passport holder running through the streets of China’s capital and she keeps running when confronted by a community worker.

“During the period of returning to China for quarantine, they went out in violation of regulations, did not wear masks, did not listen to the epidemic prevention staff's advice, and ignored the staff,” the caption on the video posted to Weibo reads.

Coronavirus live blog: Latest news and updates about the crisis in Australia

Another video shows her being confronted at her home, where according to reports, Ms Liang says she is “being harassed”.

A third video shows the police explaining to Ms Liang she is subject to guidelines put in place by the Chinese Ministry of Public Health, Sub China reports.

Her employer, multinational pharmaceutical company Bayer, released a statement regarding the incident and confirmed Ms Liang has since been sacked.

“We always comply with laws and regulations in the countries where our local offices are located. We also firmly support Chinese efforts to curb the epidemic,” Bayer said in a statement, according to Sup China.

An Australian woman was filmed running in Beijing when she was meant to be in quarantine, causing outrage on Chinese social media. Source: Weibo

The Global Times now reports Ms Liang has been asked to leave China for breaching quarantine protocol, however charges have not been filed against her by the public security bureau in Beijing.

Ms Liang had reportedly returned to China from overseas on Sunday, and everyone coming to China has to quarantine for 14 days, as per the guidelines.

The Global Times reported the 47-year-old woman had a work permit valid to September which has now been cancelled.

New imported infections hit a record of 21 in the Chinese capital of Beijing, data showed on Thursday, piling pressure on authorities to screen out infected passengers.

But there were no new domestic transmissions for the first day since the virus took hold late last year in Wuhan, capital of the central province of Hubei.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.