A Queenslander has become the ninth person to die in Australia from coronavirus.
The man, aged 68, from Toowoomba, Queensland, was in intensive care unit in Toowoomba Hospital before dying on Wednesday afternoon, the health department said.
He had “a serious underlying medical condition before contracting the virus”, Queensland Health said.
His death brings the country’s COVID-19 death toll to nine.
The previous death was a 70-year-old NSW woman who had been on board the Ruby Princess when it docked in Sydney last week.
Other deaths include Australians aged 95, 90, 86, 82, 81, 78 and 77.
There are more than 2,300 confirmed cases of the virus across the country.
At midnight on Wednesday, more restrictions will come into place for Australians to prevent the spread of the deadly illness.
On Tuesday night, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said amusement parks, arcades and both indoor and outdoor play centres will be closed and funerals will no longer be able to have more than 10 people in attendance, while weddings will only have a maximum of five guests.
Overseas travel is also banned for the foreseeable future.
In response to the restrictions, NSW Police has been given new powers to enforce social isolation including on the spot fines of $1000.
Anyone found not going into isolation for 14 days after returning from overseas, not quarantining after being found to have COVID-19, being involved in a mass social gathering or contravening any other restriction could be hit with a $1000 on the spot fine.
Businesses face being slapped with a $5000 fine for violating the rules.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.