AFL legend whooped by son in self-isolation sparring bout

Riley Morgan
Sports Reporter
The Silvagni family showed off their skills in a sparring bout between Ben and Stephen to relieve some physical tension. (Images: Instagram)

While the AFL is suspended, like most sports around the world, fans are looking for the slightest bit of entertainment and the Silvagni family has provided just that.

The AFL world was stunned when 'Black Monday' ushered in arguably the darkest period in the game’s history, in what CEO Gillon McLachlan described as the most "serious threat to our game in 100 years".

'NOTHING TO GO HOME TO': Devastating fallout from AFL suspension

'ALL OVER': Eddie McGuire's stunning admission after AFL suspension

Following Sunday's final games for the foreseeable future, the grim reality started to become clearer as it was revealed up to 80 percent of the AFL's workforce was being stood down amid the coronavirus pandemic.

But in an attempt to give AFL fans some entertainment, young Ben Silvagni - who is yet to make his debut for Cartlon - revelled in the opportunity to throw down with his father in a light-hearted sparring bout.

The bout, streamed live on Instagram, saw Blues legend Stephen Silvagni put on the gloves against his son Ben in their front yard.

But unfortunately for Stephen it wasn’t his Rocky Balboa moment.

With youth on his side, Ben laid the smackdown on his father with a barrage of body shots.

Fortunately for the the Blues legend, his daughter and wife were there to control proceedings and it was all in good humour.

AFL stars slammed for ‘bushfire’ stance

Caroline Wilson has taken aim at a number of AFL stars for bringing their bushfire relief efforts into the debate about pay cuts.

AFL legend Leigh Matthews led a chorus of criticism on Tuesday when he said he had lost respect for the players after they offered to take just a 50 per cent pay cut during the coronavirus shutdown.

League bosses asked the players to take a bigger cut, but they were reportedly unwilling to do so.

Defending themselves in the face of criticism, star players Jack Riewoldt, Tom Rockliff and Patrick Dangerfield all argued they didn’t deserve to be slammed, especially considering their efforts to raise money for bushfire victims earlier this year.

But according to outspoken journalist Wilson, that stance is below the belt.

“This arrow is directed at whoever it was at the Players Association who advised AFL footballers to use their participation in that Bushfire Relief game as a selfless act,” Wilson said on Footy Classified on Wednesday night.

“Oh please! Sure, it was a great event and a lot of players gave up their time, as many did, to raise money for a critical cause, but Jack, and it pains me to say this, you are my favourite player, but bodies on the line? This was a fun, bruise-free kick 'n' giggle.

“I would've thought to do so much good at a critical time was a privilege. And a gift. And whoever it is, if you actually believe that what you did was a sacrificial act, then you live in a bigger bubble than I thought, and what a pity you have used such a wonderful thing as a bargaining tool in a PR battle you are losing so badly.”