‘Serious’: Cops charged with assaulting 92yo

Two NSW Police officers have been charged after a 92-year-old man was allegedly assaulted
Two NSW Police officers have been charged after a 92-year-old man was allegedly assaulted

Two police officers charged over the arrest of a 92-year-old man were responding to calls from a dementia sufferer, NSW’s top cop has revealed.

Police were called to a home on Campbell St in Picton, on Sydney’s outskirts, just before 9pm on Sunday January 21 after reports of a domestic incident.

The 92-year-old man was allegedly injured as a result of his interaction with police, including a fracture to his right elbow.

The man also sustained significant bruising to his head and arms and was rushed to hospital by emergency services.

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb said the officers had been dispatched following two calls from the man’s wife, who is believed to be suffering from dementia.

Ms Webb said the officers arrived just two minutes after the second call was made and were attempting to arrest the man when the injuries allegedly took place.

Describing the matter as serious, Ms Webb said the court would have to determine whether police used “excessive force” during the just minutes-long arrest.

“Police were called to by Triple-0 on two occasions – seven minutes apart – from a resident ... I think it’s likely that that person has dementia,” she said.

KAREN WEBB PRESSER
NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb will address the media.Picture: NewsWire / Damian Shaw

“Having said that, when police officers are called to matters like this, triple-0 or otherwise, they don’t know what they’re walking into.

“It seems that that’s the first time police have been called to this address and (they) didn’t know what they’re walking into.”

The state’s top cop said it was “hard to say” whether any incident of domestic violence had actually occurred at the address, stating that no one had been charged.

A review was launched the following day as per procedure following domestic violence calls, she added, with the “experienced” officers then restricted to station duties.

Ms Webb said she had seen the body worn footage on Thursday and had that same day spoken to the alleged victim regarding to the officers’ arrest.

In a statement, NSW Police said a male senior constable and a male constable had since been charged following an internal investigation into the incident.

The officers, both attached to the South West Metropolitan Region, were issued a court attendance notice for assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The police constable was charged with a further count assault; both men are expected to appear in Campbelltown court over the coming weeks.

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb is expected to address the media in relation to the incident later on Thursday afternoon.

Both officers have been suspended with pay.