ACCC ENERGY PRICES REPORT - KEY RECOMMENDATIONS
* The national market needs a reset. The current situation unacceptable and unsustainable.
* Changes are needed to bolster competition among wholesalers and retailers - network charges need to fall.
* The Australian Energy Regulator should be given more powers to target market manipulation.
* Discounts are misleading and need to be made fairer.
* Customers should be able to compare discounts from a default or benchmark rate set by the regulator.
* Customer transfer process should be sped up so customers can move to new offers quickly.
* Special conditions like pay on time discounts should not operate like harsh late penalties.
* Third party comparator sites should declare commissions.
* Government support to underpin long-term contracts for large commercial and industrial users that brings on new dispatchable power for new generators.
* A cap on any further merger or acquisition of a company with more than 20 per cent market share of generation (excluding companies building new generation).