Conor McGregor targets Kamaru Usman fight and ‘sees many holes’ after Colby Covington bout

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
Conor McGregor targets Kamaru Usman fight and ‘sees many holes’ after Colby Covington bout
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Colby Covington
    Colby Covington
    American mixed martial artist
  • Kamaru Usman
    Nigerian-American mixed martial artist
  • Conor McGregor
    Conor McGregor
    Martial artist

Conor McGregor has appeared to call out UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman after suggesting the Nigerian-American looked vulnerable during his UFC 268 victory over rival Colby Covington.

McGregor said a meeting with Usman and a shot at the welterweight belt to complete a treble of weight-class title wins would interest him “greatly” and that he sees “many holes” in the champion’s game.

Usman retained the UFC welterweight strap with a points victory over Covington in a classic last month, with McGregor suggesting that the two knockdowns Usman secured in a thrilling second round proved decisive in the fight.

McGregor, who has not fought since breaking his leg in a defeat by rival Dustin Poirier in July, which followed another loss to the American in January this year, called out Usman in a Twitter post on Saturday night.

Replying to a question from a fan on what he fought about potentially making the step up to welterweight to meet Usman, McGregor replied with a reference to the chamopn’s November bout with Covington.

“Thought Colby lumped him up nice last fight. Finished stronger,” McGregor said.

“Without that second round knockdown it’s Colby’s fight [in my opinion]. If even still. I see many holes [in Usman]. As well as a suspect dome. I fancy it greatly for the treble.”

McGregor is a former two-weight champion in the UFC following his title wins in both the featherweight and lightweight divisions.

The 33-year-old snapped his tibia in the first round of his trilogy with Poirier at UFC 264, and the Irishman offered an update on his rehabilitation in a separate post.

“The fibula is fully healed,” McGregor said. “The medial side of the tibia is developing nice callous also. It is just patience now for it to form down through the bone to the lateral side of the tibia where the larger break occurred. It’s getting there. Patience will win this race for me!”

He added: “I will be [in] full mixed martial arts sparring by April. Easily! By then a return will be imminent. But I must be patient. I will beat this!”

Read More

Conor McGregor reveals plan for UFC return and injury update

Is the time right for Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz 3?

Ian Garry: UFC’s newest star on Conor McGregor comparisons and his stellar debut

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting