The common household items putting children’s lives at risk

A number of common household items are putting children’s lives at risk, with experts warning many need to be locked away.

Of the thousands of calls made to the National Poisons Hotline each year, the majority are for common household items, with cleaning products and painkillers topping the list in South Australia.

Ibuprofen and paracetamol topped the list in South Australia for the most calls.

SA Health’s Dr Nicola Spurrier said some of the most commonly reported incidents include a child finding medication and ingesting it without the parents knowing.

Most calls to the National Poisons Hotline each year are because a child has ingested common medicines without parents realising. Source: 7 News
Most calls to the National Poisons Hotline each year are because a child has ingested common medicines without parents realising. Source: 7 News

Anti-depressants and sleeping and anxiety medications were also ingested in large numbers with parents ringing for advice almost once a day.

Experts said even natural products can be deadly. In South Australia alone, essential oils, diffusers and air fresheners are the items rounding out the top five poisons.

Cleaning products are also hazardous to children. Source: File/Getty Images
Cleaning products are also hazardous to children. Source: File/Getty Images

“Only a very small amount of pure eucalyptus oil such as only 5ml can cause a child to become unconscious within 15 minutes,” Dr Spurrier said.

Cleaning agents, especially toilet cleaners, were also among other potentially deadly household items.

Holly Fitzgerald from Kidsafe advised storing items safely in high places out of reach and locked away.

She added they should also be more than 1.5 metres from the ground.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting