A five-year-old’s fussy eating could have been what saved him from ingesting foreign material in his chicken schnitzel.
His mum Liz Lloyd bought six deli schnitzels from Coles in Mannor Lakes, southwest of Melbourne, on Tuesday before putting them together in a meal for herself and her two kids.
Alarm bells rang when she spotted something wrong on her son’s plate, and went in for a closer look.
What she found were multiple stiff chunks of wood, which she told Yahoo News Australia appeared to have been “lodged” inside the chicken before it was crumbed.
“I was shocked but glad be didn’t eat it. I also have a two-year-old who doesn't take as much care when eating, so we’re lucky it wasn't in his,” Ms Lloyd said.
Despite the close call, the mum said her son “wasn’t too phased” and just stopped eating his meal.
The experience was enough to scare Ms Lloyd off buying not only schnitzels, but any meat from the deli at Coles again.
She said the supermarket asked how her son was following the ordeal and offered her a $6 refund.
“The said they would investigate it but that remains to be seen,” Ms Lloyd added.
A Coles spokesperson confirmed to Yahoo News Australia the matter is being investigated.
“Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously. We have spoken to the customer and Coles is investigating the matter,” they said.
“As always we encourage customers to return any item they’re not 100% happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement.”
Another Coles customer this week claimed to find pieces of glass inside a gourmet sausage he bought from a Melbourne store.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.