China says the door to negotiations with the United States is "always open," after the US announced plans to impose new tariffs on $US50 billion ($A66 billion) worth of Chinese goods.
The White House made the unexpected announcement earlier this week saying the tariffs would be imposed on a list of products to be issued by June 15, in a tactical move ahead of US Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross's visit to Beijing this weekend.
"The door to China's negotiations is always open," Ministry of Commerce spokesman Gao Feng said in a statement on Thursday.
"We have always believed that China and the United States have extensive common interests and broad space for cooperation in the economic and trade field.
"(The countries) should seek common ground while reserving differences and achieve win-win co-operation," he added.
A team of more than 50 US representatives arrived in Beijing on Wednesday, according to Gao, ahead of the arrival of Ross this weekend.
Gao said he hoped the US team would be able to "meet China halfway."
Meanwhile China's State Council on Wednesday reduced tariffs on a number of imported goods, effective July 1.
It halved tariffs from 15.9 per cent to 7.1 per cent on imported clothing, shoes and hats as well as athletic and kitchen products.
It also reduced tariffs from 20.5 per cent to 8 per cent on washing machines and refrigerators and announced a cut to the average tariff for many imported processed foods from 15.2 per cent to 6.9 per cent.