Children rushed to hospital after 'gas cloud' emergency at public pool

Yahoo News Australia (and agencies)


Nine young children are being assessed by paramedics for breathing difficulties after they were exposed to chemical fumes at a public swimming pool just south of Sydney.

NSW Ambulance crews were called to Wollondilly Community Leisure Centre on Argyle Street in Picton at about 10am on Monday. It is believed an incorrect chemical mixture was added to the pool and formed a gas cloud, a Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said.

Nine young children are being assessed for breathing difficulties after it鈥檚 believed an incorrect chemical mixture led to the fumes being released at Wollondilly Community Leisure Centre. Source: 7 News
Nine young children are being assessed for breathing difficulties after it鈥檚 believed an incorrect chemical mixture led to the fumes being released at Wollondilly Community Leisure Centre. Source: 7 News

The group of children being treated by paramedics are under six. Two of them were taken to hospital.

A NSW Ambulance spokesman told Yahoo7 two adults have also been hospitalised.

Fire crews have ventilated the area and the gas has dissipated.

The leisure centre has been closed until emergency services clear the area.

With AAP