A father has died of coronavirus, nearly a month after his wife passed from the virus, leaving behind three children.
On April 20, mother-of-three Nada Afram Naisan died in hospital of COVID-19 at the age of 46, leaving behind Nashwan, 20, and his two sisters aged 18 and 13.
Weeks laterr Ms Naisan’s husband Nameer Ayram, 52, died in the ICU on May 11, due to complications from COVID-19, ABC Detroit reported.
According to a GoFundMe set up prior to the parents’ deaths to, help the three Naisan children financially, the family immigrated to Detroit from Iraq eight years ago.
“This family came as refugees 8 years ago with an American dream, only to get caught up in this
deadly virus,” the Go Fund Me says.
Speaking to ABC Detroit, Renee Yaldo, a board member of Chaldean American Ladies of Charity, an organisation helping the family, said the family fled from Iraq “during the refugee crisis and ISIS”.
The GoFundMe was set up by a friend of Nashwan, and the page has provided updates on the family since April 12.
The GoFundMe says the parents had been sick since March 22, as far as the family was aware.
“This was a most difficult week consoling Nash and his sisters as they shake and cry the loss of their Mom, who really was their whole world,” the page said following the news of Ms Naisan dying.
“A very close knit family with relatives overseas, they’re left to cope in a new life without mom, with assistance, although amazing and generous to every extreme, still not the warm familiar arms of a parent.”
The Naisans have no family in the United States and the GoFundMe says the eldest child, Nashwan and one of his sisters recovered from the virus at home, alone.
Now the 20-year-old son is responsible for his two sisters.
In the lead up to Mr Naisan’s death, he tested negative for COVID-19, the GoFundMe says, however when he tested positive days later, it was unclear if the earlier test was a false negative, or if he was possibly reinfected.
“Nash’s Dad has passed away. I want to thank everyone at the hospital and those that have been following this tragic story of how a Mom and Dad were taken away from their 3 children from this coronavirus (covid-19),” the GoFundMe says updating the public on Mr Naisan’s passing.
“The doctors went above and beyond to try to save him. We appreciate all of the donations and prayers.”
More than $100,000 (A$154,000) has been raised for the orphaned children.
According to the Michigan state government, there have been more than 47,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and more than 4,500 deaths.
Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday extended the state’s controversial stay-at-home order through May 28, though manufacturers may go back to work Monday.
Bars and restaurants have asked to be allowed to reopen May 29.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.