The stay-at-home order imposed on residents of Sydney's northern beaches has been reinstated after the conclusion of Christmas festivities.
NSW recorded nine new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm on Friday, from almost 40,000 tests.
Eight of those cases were connected to the 116-strong northern beaches cluster.
After a three-day reprieve for small indoor Christmas gatherings, the northern beaches has from Sunday returned to restrictions barring indoor gatherings.
But outdoor gatherings of up to five people on the northern end of the northern beaches are permissible, as well as outdoor gatherings of up to 10 people on the southern end of the northern beaches.
People may neither enter nor exit the local government area.
For the rest of Sydney as well as Wollongong, the Central Coast and Blue Mountains, 10-person private gathering restrictions again apply.
The rules for New Year's Eve will be announced on December 30.
"We know today the strategy we have in place is working," Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.
"The reason we're doing (restrictions) at the moment in three-day bite-sized chunks is to make sure we have the best advice available."
But Ms Berejiklian warned that Sydneysiders would be watching New Year's Eve fireworks from home this year, rather than the Sydney foreshore.
Many Sydneysiders were also forced to make do with smaller Christmas celebrations in 2020 because of restrictions on family gatherings.
But police were on Christmas afternoon called to help break up a large crowd at a park at Bronte in Sydney's eastern suburbs.
"It is absolutely appalling to see what was clearly a group of people, a large gathering of people, who didn't give a damn about the rest of Sydney," NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard told reporters on Saturday.
"That event, I am hoping, will not become a super-spreader event."
Waverley mayor Paula Masselos echoed Mr Hazzard's concern and said council rangers would continue to monitor the public space.
Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said there were zero new local COVID-19 cases in the state and no new cases in hotel quarantine.
The tally came from almost 5000 tests.
Prof Sutton thanked the Victorian community for boosting testing numbers since the outbreak last week of the northern beaches cluster in Sydney, which now numbers more than 100 cases.
He encouraged Victorians to seek testing with even the mildest of symptoms.
The NSW-Victoria border remains shut and those who have been in Greater Sydney or the NSW Central Coast since December 11 are barred entry.
"Anyone arriving at the road border from those impacted areas will be turned away and will have to find alternative accommodation in NSW," Prof Sutton said in a statement on Saturday.
There are currently 10 active COVID-19 cases in Victoria, nine of which are in hotel quarantine and the 10th in isolation at home.
Western Australia reported five cases of COVID-19 - all in hotel quarantine - bringing the state's total to 853, with 12 active cases.
One other case that was previously reported in a female returned traveller, currently in hotel quarantine, was ruled out after public health interviews determined she had the virus in the United Kingdom and is no longer infectious.
Queensland recorded no new locally acquired coronavirus cases on Boxing Day.
However, one person in hotel quarantine has tested positive, bringing the state's total number of active cases to 11.
South Australia recorded no new locally acquired coronavirus cases on Saturday.