SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

Alleged hit-run killer of top SA cop's son gets bail

The man who allegedly killed the son of South Australia's top police officer by hitting him with his car has been released on bail.

Dhirren Randhawa, 18, faces four charges, including causing death by dangerous driving, over the death of Charlie Stevens, 18, on Friday night in Goolwa, about 90km southeast of Adelaide.

Police said Charlie died surrounded by family and friends about 7pm on Saturday.

Appearing via audio-visual link at Christies Beach Magistrates Court on Monday, Randhawa's bail application was not opposed by SA Director of Public Prosecutions Martin Hinton.

Commissioner Grant Stevens with his son Charlie Stevens (file image)
Police said Charlie (left, with his father) died surrounded by family and friends.

Randhawa's lawyer said her client would accept all conditions requested by the prosecution, including that he live at his mother Amreeta Stara's home, he surrender his passport, not enter the driver's seat of a vehicle and provide a $15,000 guarantee.

Randhawa's driver's licence has been disqualified indefinitely.

In a statement, Commissioner Grant Stevens and his wife Emma thanked police, first responders and other emergency services workers who attended the incident.

"The Stevens family also wish to thank the wider community for their support during this difficult time in particular the family acknowledge the dedicated staff at the Flinders Medical Centre for their care and support of Charlie and his family and friends," they said.

Premier Peter Malinauskas said the thoughts of all South Australians were with Mr and Mrs Stevens and their children.

"Grant Stevens has served South Australia as a member of South Australian Police for over 40 years," Mr Malinauskas said.

"His whole life he has dedicated himself to protecting others, protecting South Australians from evil, protecting us from disease.

"He has shown extraordinary leadership in some of the most difficult circumstances this state has ever confronted, and it is just so unjust that he and his family have now had to endure this great tragedy themselves."

Randhawa is also charged with aggravated driving without due care, leaving the scene of a crash after causing death and failing to truly answer questions.

He is due to face Adelaide Magistrates Court in March.