Chardon to stand trial for Novy's murder

Shae McDonald
Gold Coast businessman John Chardon has been committed to face trial over his wife's alleged murder

John Chardon's Filipino lover claims the alleged murderer asked him if he could kill his wife Novy and also paid him to hire three hit men.

It was the last of a string of explosive allegations the Brisbane Magistrates Court heard in a five-day committal hearing that ended with Chardon being ordered to stand trial.

Magistrate Penelope Hay ruled on Tuesday there was enough evidence for his case to be tried before a Supreme Court jury.

The Gold Coast businessman is accused of shooting his wife in the back of the head and dumping her body at sea in February 2013, three years before he was charged.

Filipino man Marshall Bari Aguilor claimed Chardon asked him if he could kill after the pair had sex for the first time at a hotel in the Philippines.

"I was stunned but I didn't show him that expression. I just controlled myself," he said.

Aguilor said he asked Chardon who he wanted to kill.

"He said, 'My wife'," he told the court.

Aguilor said Chardon told him he wanted Novy dead because she wanted a divorce and as a result she would get half his business.

"He said ... 'I know she has a boyfriend. It is not fair that half of what I have founded and worked for can go to this boyfriend and he becomes instantly rich'," he told the court.

Aguilor claimed he was also asked if he could help Chardon find three hit men, who he would pay $US10,000 each, "to do the job for Novy".

The court heard he was paid 30,000 pesos, the equivalent of about $750, to find the hit men but never did.

Aguilor also claimed he met Chardon "many times" over the years. The last time was in January 2013, two weeks before Novy disappeared.

Earlier in the committal hearing, convicted conman Peter Foster alleged Chardon made a jailhouse confession, while the pair shared a cell in 2015, that he shot his wife in the back of the head.

He had not been charged with his wife's murder at that point and was incarcerated on other offences.

Foster claimed Chardon had a breakdown on the night of March 31, 2015, where he admitted shooting her with a handgun and a "crude" homemade silencer.

Foster alleged in his police statement that Chardon said he took her body to the Southport Seaway when the tide was going out, punctured her stomach and attached weights.

Chardon allegedly told Foster that because Novy was so small, she would have "shot out of the seaway like a submarine torpedo".

Foster also claimed Chardon's daughter was trying to hire a hit man to kill him.

Foster and Aguilor were forced to deny they were motivated to help with the case because of a $250,000 reward.

Defence barrister Tony Kimmins also repeatedly questioned the pair about their ability to lie.

Novy was last seen at her Upper Coomera home on February 6, 2013, but her body has never been found.

Chardon entered a plea of not guilty on Tuesday afternoon.

He will go on trial at a date to be set.