ACT records eight new virus cases

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

The ACT has recorded eight fresh locally acquired cases of COVID-19, all of them linked to the territory's current outbreak and none infectious while in the community.

However Chief Minister Andrew Barr says it will not be possible to stage Canberra's popular Floriade and Nightfest events this year, due to the ongoing risk of spreading the virus.

"We will take a very cautious approach here," Mr Barr said on Saturday.

"The chief health officer will provide the government and cabinet with advice, as she is every day of this outbreak but to come out of lockdown early, we would require day after day of zero cases and people not infectious in the community.

"The clear point here is that coming out early, while there is still risk of virus transmission, could see the whole thing start again."

Mr Barr said 4683 virus tests were conducted in the ACT in the 24 hours to Friday evening, with waiting times remaining relatively short.

He said police were pleased with the territory's efforts around compliance, with almost 800 traffic stops during the same period and 11 directions issued for people to leave the ACT.

Chief Health Officer Kerryn Coleman said out of the territory's total of 102 cases, 100 either had links to known cases or to exposure sites where known transmissions had occurred.

Two cases are in hospital but neither requiring intensive support or breathing assistance.

While they are COVID-19 positive, the patients were not in care for COVID related issues, Dr Coleman said.

The ACT has listed over 14,600 self identified close contacts and around 5600 casual contacts. There are currently more than 290 exposure locations.

Dr Coleman said there were three public sites of transmission where officials were yet to confirm how initial transmission occurred.

Meanwhile 40 per cent of the ACT's cases are in people aged under 17 years, 46 per cent are 18-44 years and 14 per cent are 45 years and older.

With vaccine clinics booked out until mid-October, a mass hub will open at the Australian Institute of Sport arena so under-40s can register for Pfizer when it's available.

Pfizer is still restricted to children aged between 12 and 15 who are Indigenous, have underlying medical conditions or compromised immune systems. But that is expected to change soon as the national immunisation panel readies to tick off the jab for everyone in that age group.

Mr Barr questioned the federal goal of achieving vaccination coverage of between 70 and 80 per cent and said he wants more clarity about what it means.

"I am hoping that Canberra will well exceed the national vaccination targets and between now and when the nation reaches 70 and 80 per cent, our objective locally is to get there first," he said.

Nearly 35 per cent of the territory's eligible population is fully jabbed so far.

Mr Barr has flagged extra financial aid for businesses facing lockdown until September 2.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting