A snake caused a stir in a hair salon after it was spotted amongst cables behind a dressing table.
The slippery customer isn’t easy to spot at first glance, but when staff finally made the terrifying discovery on Saturday, May 12, they fled from the shop, refusing to go back inside until RSPCA inspectors arrived.
The Epworth business owner refused to go back inside until the snake was safely secured and waited on the other side of the road for RSPCA inspector Sara Jordan to arrive.
Inspector Jordan said: “The snake was fairly shy and didn’t want to come out from behind a dresser.
“The woman who owns the salon was so scared she ran out of the shop and locked it up.
“She refused to go back inside until the snake was safely secured!
“She wouldn’t even come in with me and decided to wait outside on the other side of the road – she was really petrified so she must have had quite the fright when they first spotted the slithery customer.
“Perhaps he just wanted a short back and sides – or a cheeky shampoo and set!”
Inspector Jordan found the grass snake and confined him before contacting RSPCA Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre for advice on where to release him.
She drove him to a nearby field and set him free after his hair-raising ordeal.
She said: “The snake took one look at me and decided to make a slither for it, but I was able to catch him and check him over before releasing him in a field nearby – a much better home for a grass snake than in a hair salon!”
What’s good to know is that grass snakes are completely harmless to humans and pets.
They are normally olive green or brown in colour with black bars or spots down the side, often with a yellow and black ‘collar’ which is usually visible behind the head. Occasionally they can be very dark or completely black.
They are the largest British snake and can grow up to 100cm although more commonly measure around 70-90cm.
They are protected from being intentionally killed or injured under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
With reporting by Caters News.