Calombaris' Melbourne restaurant sued

Kaitlyn Offer
Calombaris' Melbourne restaurant sued

He's short changed employees, been charged with a soccer match assault and now celebrity chef George Calombaris is facing a food-poisoning lawsuit.

Melbourne man David Peter Schreuder is suing Calombaris' Hellenic Republic restaurant and his Made Establishment group, saying he contracted norovirus encephalitis from eating at the Kew restaurant on Mother's Day in 2014.

In a writ filed in the County Court earlier this month, Mr Schreuder says his illness was caused by negligence that allowed him to be served with infected food.

Norovirus causes vomiting and diarrhoea and can be spread if an infected person does not wash their hands.

On May 11, 2014, nearly 100 Hellenic Republic diners contracted norovirus, forcing the restaurant to temporarily close its doors.

While the writ has been filed, Made says it has not formally been advised of the claim.

In a statement, the group says an airborne norovirus from an ill worker, was identified as the likely cause by the Health Department when the incident happened.

"Our main priority when the incident happened three years ago was in managing any issues with affected patrons and addressing any claims relating to this isolated matter in May 2014," the statement reads.

It has been a controversial few months for the MasterChef judge.

In April it was revealed about $2.6 million in back payments were dished out to 162 workers employed by Made because of payroll "discrepancies" dating back to 2011.

And last week Calombaris was charged with common assault for shoving a young man at the A-League grand final in Sydney.

He is listed to appear in the Downing Centre Local Court on June 29.