Businessman pleads guilty to domestic assault

Prosecutors have agreed to drop a string of domestic violence charges facing Sydney businessman Marco Furia, if he pleads guilty to just two of a previous seven alleged offences.

The 42-year-old appeared at Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday, where a magistrate heard the matter could be resolved earlier than expected.

Police agreed to withdraw charges that Furia recklessly choked Rossella Veraldi in June 2023.

Furia then pleaded guilty to one count of domestic violence related assault occasioning actual bodily harm and is expected to plead guilty on Friday to a second count to be added by prosecutors.

The court was told prosecutors would withdraw an assault charge allegedly occurring about 9am on June 19, 2023 at Bondi Beach, as well as two charges that Furia choked Ms Veraldi  earlier that morning.

A further two assault charges allegedly occurring between 9pm on June 18 and 2pm on June 19 will also be withdrawn, the court was told.

It took prosecutors and Furia's lawyer most of the day to work out the terms, which avoided the matter progressing to a special hearing.

The matter will return to court on Friday for the charges to be formally withdrawn and pleas entered.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Lifeline 13 11 14