- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
NSW police and the NRL's integrity unit are investigating an incident where incoming St George Illawarra forward George Burgess is alleged to have thrown another motorist's phone onto the road after a verbal altercation.
The English prop was involved in the roadside incident in Wollongong on the NSW south coast on Monday evening.
A police statement said a 32-year-old man's mobile phone was damaged when Burgess, 29, allegedly grabbed it from him and threw it on the road following a verbal altercation.
The incident was reported to police with the Dragons then alerting the NRL's integrity unit.
"St George Illawarra are aware of an alleged road incident involving 2022 recruit George Burgess," a Dragons statement read on Wednesday.
"The NRL integrity unit have been informed.
"As the police are currently investigating the matter, the Dragons will be making no further comment at this stage."
After eight seasons and a starring role in their 2014 grand final win, Burgess left South Sydney in 2019 to join Wigan.
But he played just eight games in the Super League in 2020 before departing the club on medical grounds, with two years left on his contract.
The 15-time English international underwent hip surgery before securing his move back to Australia with the Dragons, with whom the 29-year-old signed a two-year deal earlier this month.
"George will make a significant contribution to us here at the Dragons on and off the field; his experience and career achievements will only have a positive influence on the development of the younger players currently within our squad," St George Illawarra general manager of football Ben Haran said at the time.
"While he has some obstacles still to overcome following his well-documented surgery, our medical staff have already commenced working with George on his rehabilitation.
"Everyone is committed to helping George get back to his fighting best ahead of the 2022 season, but no person more than George himself."