Bunnings has been forced to close its doors to the public in the 12 hardest-hit government areas in Sydney, but the hardware giant has gone one better and decided to extended the closures across all of Greater Sydney.
Bunnings managing director Mike Schneider told Yahoo News Australia in a statement the stores will close temporarily and the reason all of them are shutting across Greater Sydney is to not only reduce traffic between LGAs but also because it is easier for staff.
“With the new restrictions on retail spanning a large part of Sydney, Bunnings has made the decision to temporarily close all its stores across Greater Sydney to the general public," he said.
“This is in support of the government and for the safety and security of team members, customers and the community. We know from experience that applying a consistent approach across a metropolitan area is easier for our team to manage and helps reduce travel by residents between LGAs."
Items will still be available via click and collect while trade customers will still be able to access materials for work.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian previously shutdown a question about why Bunnings, and other retailers, remained open during lockdown.
Ms Berejiklian called the lockdown measures “the hardest our nation has seen”.
Rob Scott, the chief executive of Wesfarmers which owns Bunnings, defended the decision to stay open in July when he spoke to The Australian Financial Review.
NSW recorded 644 cases of coronavirus on Friday and announced a swathe of new restrictions including mandatory masks when leaving the home for all of Greater Sydney and a 9pm until 5am curfew for 12 LGAs of concern.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said it is time for residents to “bunker down” as she extended the lockdown, which was due to end next Sunday, until the end of September.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.