Brutal killer to be watched on release

·3-min read

After 21 years in jail for violently killing and mutilating two boyfriends, a Sydney man will be closely watched for three years after his release this Saturday.

Damien Anthony Peters was thrown in prison after pleading guilty to the murders of Tereaupii Akai and Bevan Frost eight months apart in 2001.

He admitted cutting up Mr Akai's body early that year, flushing his internal organs and teeth down the toilet at his Northcott public housing unit in Surry Hills.

He also said he decapitated Mr Frost and started cutting up his body in September but felt sick and could not complete the task.

On Thursday, Justice Robertson Wright imposed a three-year extended supervision order to stem any risk that Peters posed to the community upon his release on Saturday.

"Given the nature of the index offending ... I was satisfied to a high degree of probability that he poses an unacceptable risk of committing another serious offence if an ESO is not made," the judge wrote in a NSW Supreme Court judgment.

Peters, who was born in 1967, will be required to wear electronic monitoring equipment for 12 months, be subject to a curfew while living at an agreed address and is barred from holding an Australian passport.

He is also forbidden from consuming alcohol or taking illicit drugs, and associating with those who are drinking or getting high, and is required to undertake ongoing psychological or psychiatric counselling.

After his arrest, Peters said he had blamed Mr Akai for infecting him with HIV without telling him he had the virus. At the time of the murder, the convicted murderer was using testosterone, marijuana, methadone, valium and ice.

He claimed he murdered Mr Frost because he manipulated him as much as Mr Akai, telling police he "got sick of being used for sex". He claimed to have been on methadone and ice at the time of the grisly incident.

The two murders were a significant part of a criminal history that spanned back to 1988, including the possession of cannabis and breaking and entering, Justice Wright wrote.

"(The murders) suggest a pattern of offending which involves extreme violence in the context of controlling sexual relationships, especially when illicit drug and alcohol use are involved."

As well as the killings, Peters was also charged with taking $1650 from Mr Akai's bank account after fatally stabbing him.

After his non-parole period expired on September 10, 2014, Peters was released three times but was thrown back in jail after breaching his parole conditions through drug use and threats to his supervising officer.

In imposing the three-year extended supervision order, Justice Wright said there were no other reasonable options available.

There was nothing to suggest further time in prison would reduce the chance of reoffending whereas getting work or undergoing training in the community could, the judge said.

Despite the parole breaches, Peters had complied with orders when in jail, Justice Wright noted, showing that he could do the same if engaging constructively with the support offered to him upon release.