Bruce Springsteen condemned over ‘scandalous’ failure to cancel Italy show despite deadly floods
Bruce Springsteen’s concert in Ferrara, Italy is currently scheduled to go ahead despite flooding in the area, to the dismay of fans.
Earlier this week, heavy downpours have caused rivers to overrun, triggering flooding in parts of northeastern Italy. The Emilia-Romagna region is the worst-affected.
At least five people have died and 5,000 have had to be evacuated as a result.
Authorities have evacuated people from affected parts of the region, including Bologna, Cesanna, Faenza, Forli, Ravenna, Riccione, Rimini, and Ferrara.
Given the disastrous weather conditions, fans are shocked to learn that Springteen’s concert in Ferrara on Thursday (18 May) has not been cancelled.
At the time of writing, Springsteen and The E Street Band remain scheduled to take the stage at Parco Urbano, with zero announcements regarding cancellation or safety updates.
The decision to move forward with the concert has been criticised heavily by fans and ticket-holders.
“It will be a mess to get to Ferrara,” one person wrote on Twitter in Italian. “The organisers have no respect for anyone.”
Il concerto di Springsteen a Ferrara è confermato, 120 euro a biglietto, venduti 50 mila e sarà un casino raggiungere Ferrara.
Gli organizzatori non hanno avuto rispetto x nessuno.
La F1 si è fermata.
Per la pandemenza è stato annullato tutto tranne il calcio 🤡 pic.twitter.com/i5brgTOJE7
— Laura Chiara (@LauraCh42905782) May 18, 2023
Comunque è scandaloso che stasera facciano il concerto di Springsteen a Ferrara. Canterà senza pubblico visto che tutte le vie principali sono bloccate in più punti.
— Laura Casadei (@LauraCasadei) May 18, 2023
Another questioned: “Going to the concert with an ongoing tragedy a few km away?”
“Bruce Springsteen, do you know that the Emilia-Romagna region is struggling with devastating flooding and landslides? Do you really feel like playing tomorrow in Ferrara?” said a third person. “Even the 2023 Imola GP has officially been cancelled! Take it as an example.”
On Wednesday (17 May), it was announced that the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix has been called off this weekend due to the flooding.
Bruce @springsteen do you know that the Emilia-Romagna region is struggling with devastating #flooding and #landslides? Do you really feel like playing tomorrow in #Ferrara? Even the 2023 Imola GP has officially been cancelled! Take it as an example! https://t.co/Xd1AV9ou5f
— Irene Schillaci (@ireschilla) May 17, 2023
Emilia-Romagna in ginocchio, ma qui a Ferrara il concerto di Bruce Springsteen guai ad annullarlo, strade chiuse comprese.
Cioè si aspettano qualcosa come 50 (se non 100) e passa bus turistici, non pensate sia pericoloso farli arrivare con le condizioni attuali? Boh.
— ( ⟡🌿 ) Sara! TLOU era (@MILKUVVAY) May 17, 2023
F1 said that cancelling the race was “the right and responsible thing to do”.
Someone else on Twitter wrote: “Anyway, it’s scandalous that they’re doing the Springsteen concert in Ferrara tonight,” adding that difficulties with transport will mean that the “Born to Run” singer will be performing without an audience.
“Emilia-Romagna is on its knees, but here in Ferrara the Bruce Springsteen concert is woe to cancelling it, despite closed roads,” said another.
Speaking about transportation difficulties, they asked: “Don’t you think it’s dangerous to get them there with the current conditions? I don’t know.”
The Independent has contacted a representative of Bruce Springsteen for comment.