Tigers talk leaves Broncos coach fuming

·2-min read

Furious Brisbane coach Kevin Walters has quizzed Tevita Pangai Jnr and Jamayne Isaako about meeting with Wests Tigers representatives, maintaining neither player will be leaving the Broncos before the end of their NRL contracts.

Both players were linked to discussions with the Tigers despite being under contract until the end of 2022.

In a statement released on Friday, the Broncos said New Zealand international Isaako confirmed meeting with Maguire in his role as Kiwis coach to discuss international football matters.

Backrower Pangai Jnr, who was nearly sacked by the club in 2020 for multiple breaches of COVID-19 biosecurity protocols, "categorically rejected" any suggestion he met with Maguire, the Broncos said.

The Tongan international is playing in 2021 under a set of conditions he must fulfil with the Broncos or face termination of his contract, which expires at the end of 2022.

Walters said both players would be in his team to face Sydney Roosters at the SCG on Saturday following his discussions.

"We've sorted that out internally. I've spoken to both those players. We've got control of that," Walters said.

"(I) expect them both to perform extremely well tomorrow night."

Walters also dismissed the suggestion either player had been given the all-clear to leave the club before the end of their current deals.

"They don't have permission to talk to other clubs, no ... they're contracted here. Why would we want to lose them?" he said.

The Broncos coach also dismissed the notion that half Anthony Milford had played his final game for the club.

Milford was axed for the second time this season for Saturday's clash with Sydney Roosters at the SCG, with former Gold Coast playmaker Albert Kelly named to play his first NRL game in seven years.

With Milford off contract at season's end his future at the Broncos looks increasingly uncertain but Walters insisted the door wasn't closed on the 26-year-old.

"It's up to Anthony. He makes that decision, not me," Walters said.

"I keep saying that every week.

"Anthony has control of his career not the Broncos or this football club."

Walter also flat-batted reports the Broncos have held talks with Melbourne's Nicho Hynes.

"There's been some players that we are interested in at the moment we're not allowed to divulge who those players are," he said.

"That's a decision that we'll make down the track."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting