In a post on Facebook, David and Sally Abel said they had been taken off the Diamond Princess on Thursday and were now undergoing a series of tests.
David added: “Outside the hospital I came over a bit weird and nearly passed out. Every pore on my body opened and i was wheel-chaired to our room.
“Full health inspection and now we know what’s going on. We both contracted a cold (unaware of) and it has not yet turned into pneumonia. (We do have coronavirus).”
The couple were taken off the cruise ship after confusion over whether or not they had actually contracted the virus.
The couple have been posting regular updates on social media about their situation and on Tuesday announced they had been told they had contracted coronavirus but did not have any symptoms.
Later that day they posted on Facebook suggesting there had been a “massive communication error” with Japanese officials and that they might not have coronavirus after all.
The Diamond Princess was quarantined in the port of Yokohama on 4 February for two weeks after a man who left the ship in Hong Kong was later diagnosed with the virus.
Two other elderly passengers taken off the ship because they were infected with coronavirus have died, Japan’s Health Ministry said on Thursday.
They are the first fatalities from the virus-stricken boat, and Japan now has three deaths linked to the Covid-19 illness.
Japan’s NHK public television said both were Japanese and in their 80s. A Health Ministry official only confirmed that they had been previously taken to hospital in serious condition and had existing chronic diseases.
More than 540 people have tested positive for Covid-19 on the cruise, which originally carried 3,700 passengers and crew, with those infected transferred to hospitals in Japan.