Brazil's Bolsonaro 'won't need surgery'

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will not need to undergo surgery after being hospitalised for an intestinal obstruction that has now been cleared, the medical team says in a note.

The blockage was Bolsonaro's latest complication from a 2018 stabbing.

According to the note, Bolsonaro is showing a "satisfactory" clinical improvement and will start a liquid diet on Tuesday.

Doctors had inserted a nasogastric tube right after his hospitalisation.

Sao Paulo's Vila Nova Star hospital, where the president was admitted in the early hours of Monday after suffering from abdominal pain, said there was still no time frame for him being discharged.

The decision not to operate on Bolsonaro came after he was re-evaluated by his doctor, Antonio Macedo, who was holidaying in the Bahamas and arrived in Sao Paulo on Tuesday morning.

Bolsonaro has undergone a series of emergency operations since being knifed during a campaign event in September 2018.

The Brazilian president said on Twitter on Monday that he started feeling unwell on Sunday after lunch.

He had been on holiday in the southern state of Santa Catarina and was urgently taken to Sao Paulo by plane.

Bolsonaro noted it was his second hospitalisation "with the same symptoms" in a few months.

In July 2021, he was taken to the Vila Nova Star for an intestinal blockage after suffering chronic hiccups.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting