Boy's incredible escape from house fire after being left alone for '15 minutes'

Christian Daubney told his mum he accidentally knocked over a candle.

A nine-year-old Sydney boy has made a miraculous escape after a fire engulfed his home while he was alone on Saturday night.

Christian Daubney was in the Penrith property by himself for "no more than 10, 15 minutes", his mum Chelsea said, while she ducked out to the shops to pick up groceries for dinner. In that small time frame, he reportedly knocked over a candle.

"He tried to put it out and it got really high, so he tried to leave the front door but the front door was locked with the keys, so he couldn't get out," Ms Daubney told 9 News, explaining she had locked the door herself believing it would keep him safe while unsupervised.

Left, Chelsea and Christian can be seen smiling at the camera together. Right, Christian is in hospital with a McFlurry after the house fire.
Chelsea Daubney left her 9-year-old son unsupervised on Saturday night as she ducked to the shops when the house fire started. Source: Facebook and 9 News

"He ended up having to smash the window and he screamed for help. He thought he was going to die," she added.

Christian smashed the front window of the two-storey home with a metal pole to escape, and was helped by a local walking by at the time.

Fire and Safety NSW officers can be seen hosing water toward the property.
Fire and Rescue NSW were able to put out the fire which engulfed the Penrith property. Source: 9 News

Penrith home destroyed by fire

Chelsea returned home from the shops with her two-year-old daughter to find her home ablaze. "My first thought being that my son was dead," she said.

Emergency services were reportedly at the scene by 6:15 pm and NSW Ambulance treated Christian for cuts before he was sent to a local hospital while fire fighters tackled the flames.

"In a matter of minutes, sometimes even less, a fire can spread from a small fire in a room to a fire that is enveloping an entire house," Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Andrew Ticehrust said.

There was no damage to the adjoining properties.

Emergency services can be seen surrounding the property.
Fire and Rescue NSW and Ambulance NSW quickly arrived at the scene and Christain was treated for cuts on his body. Source: 9 News

Chelsea believes it is likely their family have lost everything in the fire and will need to start again, however, she is incredibly grateful they are all together.

"I guess it's just taking each day as it comes and trying to rebuild a safer home for my kids," she told 9 News.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.