A doctor has inserted a pair of forceps into an infant’s throat to grab a safety pin which he swallowed whole while his mum was not looking.
The 10-month-old boy from the city of Xi’an, capital of Shaanxi Province in north-western China, was rushed to a local hospital on June 12.
Fu Huiling, head of paediatrics at the First Affiliated Hospital of Xi’an Medical University, said the child was lying on his bed when his mum noticed him swallow something before he started crying.
“She noticed a safety pin missing from the bed, but she couldn’t be sure whether he actually swallowed it or not,” Huiling said.
“The doctor who admitted him ordered scans which showed the safety pin stuck at the top of his oesophagus.
“It had gone in upside down, so the sharp end was facing up.”
Hospital scans show the three-centimetre safety pin forming a V shape in the boy’s oesophagus, with the sharp needle pointing upwards.
The boy’s mum said she had used it to fasten a mosquito net above her bed.
An emergency endoscopy was arranged to retrieve the pin, which had drawn blood while being swallowed, before it could slip further down the boy’s digestive tract.
Head gastroenterologist, Professor Zhang Mingxin, carried out the procedure and retrieved the safety pin in about five minutes, the hospital said.
Video shows Professor Zhang using a pair of raptor forceps to grasp the pin before lifting it out the child’s throat.
The boy was in stable condition and recovering after the ordeal, according to a hospital report, which also praised the child’s mum for remaining calm.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.