Boy dies, brother critical after heroic dad drags them from their burning home

A four-year-old boy has died and his younger brother is fighting for life in hospital after being severely burnt in a house fire at Weranga in Queensland.

Their heroic father dragged the brothers from the inferno and also suffered severe burns in the rescue.

The emergency unfolded on the family's rural property, with paramedics working desperately to save four-year-old Blade while his three-year-old brother Jeremy was treated nearby.

A four-year-old boy has died and his three-year-old brother is critically injured after a house fire. Source: 7 News
Emergency services worked for two hours to stabilise the boys at the property before they could be airlifted. Source: 7 News

"The children appear to have 80 to 90 per cent of burns over their body and the father has burns to his arms," Acting Inspector Cameron Ashmore said.

The father, Nathan Perry, pulled the two boys from their burning home as they slept around 8pm on Tuesday night.

Both boys had 80 to 90 per cent burns. Source: 7 News

He dragged them out of the bedroom and took them to a neighbouring property belonging to their grandparents.

Medical teams worked to stabilise the boys for more than two hours before they could be airlifted to hospital.

The father has burns to his arms but is in a stable condition. Source: 7 News

Blade, the older brother, was taken on a mercy dash to Brisbane with his grandmother accompanying him in a helicopter.

The two boys were taken to Lady Cilento Children's Hospital while their father was flown to Royal Brisbane Hospital.

His condition is described as stable.

The children were airlifted to Lady Cilento in Brisbane but tragically the older brother died on Wednesday. Source: 7 News

On Wednesday afternoon four-year-old Blade lost his fight for life.

Younger brother Jeremy remains in a critical condition as extended family arrive to give their support.

A Go Fund Mepage has been set up for donations to help the family with medical costs, with their family home also destroyed.

Investigators continue to look into the cause of the fire on the property, which was not fitted with smoke alarms.